I wanted to start a discussion about tips/tricks that 'you-wish-you-knew' when you had first started on Arenthyor that will serve as an aid to new players.
I'm looking for practical tips that will ease a player's frustration as they try to learn a new world. While I don't think that the systems on Arenthyor are difficult, trying to learn them all at the same time while an ogre is bearing down on you can be challenging.
1) Load up on the following items in the new player store in the first mists you start in: healing potions, grab a few bandages, spell components (if you're a sorcerer). Spend all your money here, as it gives you the best prices for what is there.
2) You can't transition from one area to the next while you're in 'combat' (i.e. when the combat music is playing). Therefore, once you do go from one area to the next, move in right away to allow yourself room to retreat if things go haywire.
3) Many PCs (especially those who start out in the swamps) start out in hostile areas and will suffer their first death within minutes. Run as fast as you can to avoid fighting. If you do die, however, that's ok. Generally you'll respawn at the temple in a safe zone. However, if you're a human, better safe than sorry - respawn during the daytime (6am - 16pm) in the event that your god does not have a temple in Bastion and you respawn in the graveyard. Respawning at night, at least until you have a handle on how things work, is a recipe for another quick death.
4) You can rest every 6 minutes for partial HP regain. If you have a bedroll and food in your inventory (not mandatory), you'll regain more HPs. If you rest in a room in an inn, you'll get full HP regain. For now, inns are free.
5) Get your first quest:
If you're fey and begin in Ithaeria, make your way to the Oracle to get your first quest.
If you're in Bastion, go to the town hall to 'join' the city (unless you already have joined a city) and then speak to Davven to get your first quest.
If you're halfling, dwarf, gnome or monster, go speak to your own adventuring chieftan for your fist quest
6) Combat is difficult, especially solo. Go slow and carefully. Engage one at a time rather than rushing headlong into the fray. Be prepared to run and watch out for monsters behind you. Use strategy!
7) Find your temple! Pray 3x per day at your god's altar. Do not let your reputation with your deity fall below 50 points.
8) Seek the 'easier hunting grounds'
Bastion: Sea fowl alley, the bandit's lair in the Seafowl Alley. The mongrel dogs and rats in the city, the graveyard during the day. NOT the graveyard at night or in the swamps.
Ithaeria: The immediate areas around the Shining citadel. the cavern in the Northern frontier, the eyrie of the fey'ri located in the Broken Lands.
9) Dwarves, halflings, and gnomes all have portals in their faction homes that will teleport them directly into Bastion. The portal in Bastion will return them to their homeland. Low-level PCs of these factions should not try to venture outside of their homeland, as the creature difficulty is significantly higher than their level.
10) Magical weapons and armor are rare - don't expect to find much in the way of armor or weapons until they're out adventuring in the dungeons.
What else? Anything to add to the above?
Put your new-player hats on and let's make a list that others will find helpful to ease them into the world of Arenthyor. What confused you when you first joined? What were your initial feelings/perceptions?
Thanks for the help!